Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Little History

My wife has joined the blogging community EVERYDAY AT THE HOPKINS HOUSE. She is a pretty good writer and has some good viewpoints on life. I love to hear her comments on what I write.

But that is not what I am writing about today.

People who know me know my back story. I was voted most likely to drop out of school as a sophomore at Douglas County High School. I tell people that I was such a stand-up student the staff decided to ask me back for a fifth year. I was so flattered by their offer I accepted their proposal and graduated with a 1.3 GPA.





I am also the only one in my immediate family of 6 to accomplish a high school diploma.


My family also had financial struggles growing up. My sister and I worked jobs to try and help support the family (really she has to take most of the credit because she helped my mom pay rent) and that often meant that work was more important than school. My last semester in high school I missed 20 plus days. Hard to do well at something you don't show up for.

After observing my mom and dad getting a divorce and the financial struggles they endured, I decided I wanted more from my life. I decided that the Air Force was the right way to go. I mean, it was that or construction and I watched my dad tear his rota-tor cuff in his shoulder, get better, then a few weeks after his recovery he fell off a roof and broke his back. Yeah something was telling me that career didn't end so well for most people.

I wanted to be in bomb disposal, EOD or Explosive Ordinance Disposal. Apparently if you bounced a check in High School and have no depth perception they really don't think you are cut out for this career field. I disagreed at the time, but hey I just didn't want to fall off a roof and break my back so whatever they gave me was a better option than what I had.

I ended up a Special Purpose Vehicle Mechanic. It really was my last choice and the mechanical aptitude was my lowest scoring area on my asvap test. In basic I really wanted to try out for Para-Rescue, but I didn't think I could do the minimum amount of pull-ups. I had everything else smoked. I ran a 10 minute 2 mile, had 50 plus push-ups in 2 minutes, and 50 plus sit-ups in a minute and a half. I can't believe I didn't think I could do 12 pull-ups.Oh well, hind sight is 20-20.

There are a handful of events between now and then which would take more time then we have now, but getting to the point..........

I was never supposed to be where I am at today.

I was never supposed to own my own home.

I was NEVER supposed to have a Bachelor's Degree.

I was never supposed to be married for ten years.

I was never supposed to be successful in my career.

I have recently been accepted in to Drexel University to begin a Master's Degree in Human Resource Development. I finished my bachelors degree with a 3.1 GPA. Maybe I wasn't Suma Cum Laude like my wife, but it is a far cry from a 1.3. My wife and I have a wonderful marriage. It's had it's ups and downs, but she is still the apple of my eye, and I think I am still hers as well. We have owned our own home for a few years now and thanks to help from family, we have been in remodel mode for a year or so now.

I recently was offered a contract worth 3 times what I currently make.

I turned that one down.................. some decisions take more time than we have now to explain. Maybe tomorrow or next week.


I know what I have is a blessing from God and He has created me with a purpose in life. It's in this belief that I stand on any accomplishments. God's provision has been great in our lives and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that He has delivered me through what was supposed to be to what IS now. The big money gig is only a shadow of what He has in store for my family and I.

Galatians 5:1
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment